At Congregation Ner Tamid, we seek to create a worship experience that is uplifting, inspiring, comforting, engaging, and participatory. Our worship style honors both Jewish tradition and the modern spirit that is the hallmark of Reform Judaism, combining a well-balanced blend of Hebrew and English, opportunities for contemplative reflection, and a thoughtful sermon. Because we believe that music is integral to a moving worship experience, services are filled with music, using both traditional and contemporary melodies, and accompanied in a variety of ways.
- Friday Evenings
- Times may vary, please check the monthly calendar for updates
- Located in Joyce and Jerome Mack Sanctuary and Solomon Beit Tefillah
- Service starts at 7 p.m. (except during Shir Shabbats)
- Check calendar for service time.
- Our Shir Shabbats are fun, engaging, perfect for families with young children and of course musical. Since our Shir Shabbats are geared for families with young children, the service will begin at 6:15 pm. Join us on most first Fridays of the month.
- 7:00 pm, 2nd Friday of each month
- Our CNT Members are important to us and we like to make your birthday a big deal at CNT. Therefore, once a month we celebrate all birthdays. Rabbi Akselrad and Cantor Hutchings will call you to the bimah for a special Birthday Blessing.
Shabbat in the Round
- 7:00 pm, last Friday of each month
- Does the setting make the Sabbath or the Sabbath make the setting? Perhaps a little bit of both. Introducing what we hope will become a Congregational favorite - Shabbat in the Round. Informal, intimate, relaxed, contemplative and joyful are all adjectives that describe this particular service. Through music, instruments, reflective readings and the opportunity to "see" and "be with" we hope you will bring your families and make this a Shabbat experience to be shared and remembered.
Shabbat Morning Experience
- Every Saturday
- Services at 9:45 a.m. in the Solomon Beit Tefillah
- Services open to all ages and includes reading of Torah Portion, and is lay led, where everyone is invited to participate and contribute.
Shabbat Morning Torah Study
- 8:45 a.m. in the library
- Study the Parshat HaShavuah, the Torah portion assigned for the week. The group engages in an open discussion on the meaning of the portion and the relevance in today’s world through the use of multiple commentaries and personal reflection. No prior knowledge of Hebrew or text study experience is necessary for this study group. All study supplies and Torahs are provided.
Our Jewish Heritage Discussion
- 11:00 a.m. in the library
- We read and discuss the evolution of Judaism as a religion from early tribal developments to the destruction of the Second Temple and beyond, from the Reformed Judaism point of view.
Mark your calendars!
Celebrate Shabbat throughout the year with CNT's own Shabbat jazz band! Now in their 19th year...always a fun spiritual night
Shir Shabbat is a musical family service where our religious school students, Kochavim (junior choir), and Shir Heart (Junior Cantors), help to lead us in beautiful prayer-song along with musical accompaniment. All are welcome.
All the Shabbat standard prayers and songs to Beatles music! Plus, dress up in your favorite 60's or 70's outfit and submerge yourself in the yellow submarine. Groovy Baby!
Congregant of the Year
CNT celebrates the past year's new members as they honor the annual choice for Congregant of the Year. The Congregant of the Year is a model congregant and volunteer who goes above and beyond for the shul.
Join Rabbi Akselrad and moderator Ira Sternberg in conversations with various guests on various hot and timely topics. The conversation occurs in lieu of the weekly sermon.
An extra-special Shabbat service all about Noah and his Ark!
Join us for a special Shabbat service for the whole family. A Petting Zoo, snack and art project for everyone to enjoy. The service and project are geared towards preschool and young families with children ages 2-7 years old and their siblings and parents. The petting zoo is open for all to enjoy! Rabbi Akselrad, Cantor Hutchings, Lonnie Kritzler and are our wonderful song leaders will lead the service.
Pop-Up Shabbat is a community wide Shabbat service held outside of the shul. Join us as we close the Shul on Shabbat and head downtown for our epic community-wide Pop-Up Shabbat at El Cortez. For SECURITY purposes pre-registration is required. All ages are welcome! Pop-Up Shabbat will include Friday night musical Shabbat Service with a guest band.
Come celebrate Havdallah in your PJS! Children will be making a special Havdallah project, enjoying hot cocoa & cookies, and then share in the beauty of the Havdallah ceremony. Parents must accompany child. Facilitated by our Preschool Director, Lonnie Kritzler, program is open to our Preschool & religious school families.